[Openswan dev] Accelerating IPSec

Panayotis Tziaros ptzi at intracom.gr
Thu Mar 2 17:22:29 CET 2006

Hi all,

I develop a software that expoits the MPC's 8248 Security Engine
capabilities in order to use it in openswan. I want to ask you if the
connection of this software and openswan should be done through
CryptoAPI making a "new" encryption algorithm or by modifying the
built-in crypto and hashing functions that exist in openswan ? It seems
(is that true ?) that CryptoAPI can be used from openswan only for
cipher algorithms and not for hashing. For example I didn't see anywhere
in ipsec_alg_cryptoapi.c a function that assigns a hashing algorithm.
Also I saw that in ipsec_esp.c or in ipsec_ah.c that only built-in 3DES
or MD5 or SHA1 algorithms are used (e.g. in ipsec_xmit_esp_setup).

Thanks in advance,

Panayotis Tziaros
Software Engineer