[Openswan dev] Invalid argument NULL (patch from users)

Nicolas Thauvin nicolas.thauvin at cellicium.com
Fri Dec 16 15:22:12 CET 2005

Hi all,

  We have been trying to establish a tunnel using null-sha as ESP with an
egyptian peer (encryption is not allowed there). Using v2.4.4, we got the
following error in logs :

ERROR: netlink response for Add SA esp.<.....>@<ip obscured> included
errno 22: Invalid argument

Digging the mailing list, we found a patch in Openswan Users ML from
Herbert Xu

http://lists.openswan.org/pipermail/users/2004-August/001908.html

Question is : why this patch was not ported into mainstream for the last
year as it allows to establish an unencrypted tunnel with a Cisco without
apparent drawback ?

(See attachment for a 2.4.5dr3 version of the patch)