[Openswan Users] NAT-T Test results and problems

Mehran Toreihi vpnbook at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 08:04:13 EDT 2009

Dear Paul and other friends,
We have tested two different versions of Openswan with Kernels as follow:

Openswan-2.4.8   on Redhat 9.0  (Kernel-2.4.20)
Openswan-2.6.21 on CentOS-5.2 (Kernel-2.6.18)

In all of the above combinations we have used KLIPS (kernel built-in) and
have applied NAT-T patch and no firewall at all.

We wanted to test NAT-T in a site-to-site scenario in a lab as follow:

192.168.0.0/24(LAN)---LeftVPN----leftRouter----ROUTER----rightRouter----rightVPN----200.0.0.0/24
(LAN)

leftRouter = cisco2821
rightRouter=cisco2821
Router=Linux (CentOS-5.2)

The configuration, topology and the test results are attached as a pdf file.
The tunnel does no establish when the left and right routers do PAT (port
address translation).
When we use SNAT in both routers openswan-2.4.8-kernel-2.4.20 fails, but
openswan-2.6.21-kernel-2.6.18 is OK (tunnel established and ping is OK).

What is the problem and how can we solve it???

Thanks in advance,
Mehran Toreihi