[Openswan Users] Dynamically attached interfaces

Siegfried Vogl svogl at vodata.de
Sun Feb 21 11:48:06 UTC 2021

Hello,

Linux Openswan U2.6.52.1/K4.14.214 on an embedded system.

I'm a bit confused because I always thought that openswan automatically
recognizes interfaces that are added at runtime or whose ip address
changes dynamically.

Now I have the following issue:
- pluto has started.

- "networkd" from "systemd" (version 246) is used as the network daemon.
I cannot use the NetworkManager.

- An OTA connection is started via the command line interface of the
ModemManager ("mmcli -m <modem> --simple-connect=..."), which creates
the interface "wwan0".

Openswan does not set up a listener on this interface. Only an "ipsec
whack --listen" makes the interface known to Pluto. The disadvantage
here is that tunnels that are active on other interfaces are then
obviously terminated.
Even if the wwan0 interface is already known to Pluto, but changes its
IP due to a new connection, this is not recognized by Pluto. When
starting a tunnel, this then leads to a routing problem in Pluto because
it does not recognize the new network.
I am now wondering whether this is due to the use of the "systemd networkd"?

Workarounds:
- Does anyone know of a command to specifically add or remove an
interface for the listener? I don't know anyone.
- Let Pluto listen on a bridge interface and add the wwan to the bridge
during runtime, or delete it.

By the way, the problem is not limited to OTA. I have the same problem
on a LAN DHCP interface.

I would be grateful for any advice.

Siegfried