[Openswan Users] Openswan not updating routing tables after connection restart

users-bounces at lists.openswan.org users-bounces at lists.openswan.org
Wed May 18 09:37:30 EDT 2016

Rescued from the spam bucket.  Please remember to subscribe to the mailing list before posting to it.

From: aleksi kallio <almikale at gmail.com>
Subject: Openswan not updating routing tables after connection restart
Date: May 18, 2016 at 9:37:27 AM EDT
To: users at lists.openswan.org

Hi,

I’m having issues with openswan vpn-client. When vpn-tunnel is first established the connection works fine. If the vpn-server reboots, openswan seems to delete the connection from client machines routing tables. After the vpn-server is rebooted, the tunnel is re-established correctly, but nothing goes through it, because openswan doesn’t update the routing table of the client machine. If I manually add the vpn-connection to the routing tables with ip route add, the connection works fine again.

I’ve tried different dpd-actions and timeouts, and I’ve removed all the rules from the firewall of the client machine, but nothing seems to work.

What causes openswan not to update routing tables after vpn-connection is re-established?

Here is the /etc/ipsec.conf of the client machine:

version 2.0

config setup

        plutodebug="none"

        nat_traversal=yes