[Openswan Users] Multiple sites with openswan

Nick Howitt nick at howitts.co.uk
Tue Jan 20 03:22:37 EST 2015

With that set up each remote site is invisible to each other remote
site.

There are soem things in the set up you won't want (plutodebug=all),
probably don't need if Openswan is on your gateway device
(nat_traversal=yes,
virtual_private=%v4:10.0.0.0/8,%v4:192.168.0.0/16,%v4:172.16.0.0/16),
don't need (compress=no), could do better (use aes or aes128 instead of
3des or something even stronger if you want like aes256; sha1 instead of
md5) and are wrong (left/rightsourceip should be the private IP of the
gateway). If you don't use NAT traversal you also do not need to open
udp port 4500 and you never need tcp:4500.

I am not convinced about NAT'ing the VPN as this is not normally
recommended, but you would use a similar iptables rule with "-j ACCEPT"
instead of "-j SNAT".

Check which subnets you want to use. The example gives a single public
IP access to a whole LAN. It is more likely you will want a remote LAN
IP or subnet to your LAN. That is just a matter of adjusting the
left/rightsubnet.

Nick