[Openswan Users] Windows 8.1 L2TP/IPsec with certificate not working

Daniel Minder daniel.minder at uni-due.de
Mon Mar 24 06:15:43 EDT 2014

Dear all,

short follow-up to my own mail - with the solution :)

The self-signed certificate was correctly imported in the certificate
store "Personal". However, the certification authority was also imported
to this store instead of to "Trusted Root Certification Authorities".
When this was done right everything is working...

It's really bad that Win8 does not show a meaningful error msg here and
that it is sending strange packets to the VPN server.

So, I'm still interested in the meaning of this packet. Can anyone explain?

Best,
Daniel