[Openswan Users] OpenSwan VPN pings but other traffic fails

Patrick Naubert patrickn at xelerance.com
Mon Jul 14 13:20:33 EDT 2014

Rescued from the Spam bucket.  Please remember to subscribe to the mailing list before posting to it.

From: Nathan Roberts <nathan.roberts at gmail.com>
Subject: OpenSwan VPN pings but other traffic fails
Date: July 12, 2014 at 6:16:13 AM GMT-4
To: users at lists.openswan.org

I'm setting up a VPN server using OpenSwan, to establish site to site VPN.

Site A has the OpenSwan server, sitting behind the SOHO router (ports 500 and 4500 forwarded and default route to subnet B all set to the local IPof VPN server).

Site B has a mobile router which runs racoon, and a DynDns client.

All PC's at Site A, can ping any PC in site B successfully. All PC's at site B can ping any PC in site A successfully. However PC's in site A cannot access services in site B (SNMP, web admin pages etc). The VPN server in site A can however access these. the VPN server is a fresh Centos install, not yet security hardened. I've very limited IPTables experience, but no rules have been added that should block other traffic. The individual PC's should also not have any firewall issues, as they accessed these services on the VPN used prior to the introduction of the OpenSwan VPN.

If pings were failing I'd have a clue where the problem was, but where should I look when all pings work, but other traffic only works from the vpn server? I've tried searching but only find results relating to ping failure.