[Openswan Users] Testing a proper connection ikeping in both directions ?

Timo Veith timo.veith at uni-tuebingen.de
Wed Feb 19 11:05:15 EST 2014

Hello openswan users,

I am trying to setup a vpn connection between a host and internal
subnet. Until yet I had no success and it is puzzling me.

I have tried openswan (RHEL6, openswan-2.6.32-27.el6) on the left and
strongswan (strongswan-5.1.1-4.fc20) on the right side.

"left" and "right" are in different lan segments, so there is a router
between them which I have no control over it. The tunnel seems to get
established fine, but when I icmp ping into the subnet behind "right", I
get no reply.

I checked the packets with tcpump on the machine that I have icmp
pinged. The machine sees them, and sends icmp replies back.

The "right" host sees esp packets coming from "left", the it sees it's
own esp packets which it sends back to "left" and it also sees the icmp