[Openswan Users] RDP over VPN Issue

Schwartz, Matt matt.schwartz at whiteridgesystems.com
Tue Feb 4 22:43:19 EST 2014

Hello list,

My office network consists of a CentOS 6.5 running KVM. I have 3 guests: 2 Windows 2008R2 guests and 1 CentOS 6.5 guest. All guests sit on the office network which is 172.16.1.0/24. The CentOS 6.5 guest has Openswan and xl2tpd installed. The VPN network is 172.16.2.0/24. When I use my laptop to establish the L2TP/IPSEC VPN connection, everything gets set up properly and I can ping all of my virtual machines without any packet loss. However, when I try to RDP into my Windows virtuals, the connection fails to complete. I've tried playing with the MRU and MTU settings to no avail. I've tried setting the MRU and MTU settings in the options.xl2tp file both to 1280 and still no luck. Any ideas as to what might be causing this? Likewise, I'm unable to browse to any of the smb shares. I'm confused because I can ping everything and as far as I know, I'm not blocking any ports.

Thanks,
Matt