[Openswan Users] Openswan IPSec host to host between RHEL and z/OS mainframe

Diep, David (OCTO-Contractor) David.Diep at dc.gov
Mon Dec 29 15:31:01 EST 2014

Hi,

I'm new here and I was hoping if to find some help. I have built many IPSec tunnels between z/OS mainframes and Microsoft servers. This is my first attempt at trying to build a IPSec host to host between RHEL and a z/OS mainframe.  Though it seems it should work in theory, without much luck so far, as I am trying to do the following:

(left) RHEL = lsysg01a
(right) z/OS mainframe = 10.y.y.y

1.       CA server is on the mainframe

2.       A site certificate is created and imported to the RHEL machine

# pk12util -i LSYSG01AOS28.p12 OS28CA.p12 -d /etc/ipsec.d

Enter Password or Pin for "NSS Certificate DB"

Enter password for PKCS12 file

pk12util: PKCS12 IMPORT SUCCESSFUL

3.       Displaying key database shows the certificates

# certutil -L -d /etc/ipsec.d/

Certificate Nickname                                         Trust Attributes

                                                             SSL,S/MIME,JAR/XPI

lsysg01a                                                     u,u,u

IKE DAEMON CA                                                ,,

4.       Display of my /etc/ipsec.d/ipsec.conf

# cat ipsec.conf

config setup

# Connections are added below

conn testOS28

  type=transport

  left=10.x.x.x

  leftcert=lsysg01a

  right=10.y.y.y

  ike=aes256-sha1-modp2048

  keylife=480m

  ikelifetime=1440m

  phase2=esp

  phase2alg=aes256-sha1-modp2048

  authby=rsasig

  auto=start

  pfs=yes

# Inlcude other configuration files

  include /etc/ipsec.d/*.conf

5.       Display of /etc/ipsec.secrets

# cat ipsec.secrets

: RSA "IKE DAEMON CA"

I do not have iptables activated. IPSEC starts without errors.  I do not know where the logged messages can be found to troubleshoot this further. On the mainframe side, I see this message (which indicates there is a mismatch in tunnel definition):

Dec 29 11:29:29 OS28 TRMD.INET[32]: EZD0833I Packet denied, tunnel mismatch: 12/29/2014 16:29:28.68 filter rule= RHEL_LSYSG01A~7 ext= 2 sipaddr= 10.x.x.x dipaddr= 10.y.y.y proto= icmp(1) type= 8 code= 0 -= Interface= 10.82.X.X (I) dest= local len= 84 tunnelID= N/A decap_tunnelID= N/A ifcname= LOSA42P0 fragment= N

Here is the 'right' tunnel definition:

Security Level: PFS - AES 256 FIPS Compliant Settings
Type:
Dynamic Tunnel
Encryption:
AES CBC 256-bit key (first choice)
Authentication:
SHA1 (first choice)
Protocol:
ESP (first choice)
Advanced Security Level Settings
VPN Life:
1440 Minutes
Initiator PFS Level:
None
Acceptable PFS Levels:
None
Diffie-Hellman Group14
Diffie-Hellman Group19
Diffie-Hellman Group20
Diffie-Hellman Group21
Diffie-Hellman Group24
How to set the do not fragment bit:
Propagate
How to set the DSCP field:
Propagate

IKEv1 Dynamic tunnel encapsulation mode:
Transport
IKEv2 Dynamic tunnel encapsulation mode:
Either
Local Security Endpoint for the Dynamic Tunnels:
10.y.y.y
Local IKE Identity for Dynamic Tunnels:
CN=IKED DAEMON RSA,C=USA
(X500 Name)
Remote Security Endpoint for the Dynamic Tunnels:
10.x.x.x
Remote IKE Identity for Dynamic Tunnels:
CN=lsysg01a,C=USA
(X500 Name)
How to authenticate IKE (IKEv1):
Digital Signature (RSA)
How to authenticate IKE (IKEv2):
Digital Signature (ECDSA or RSA)
IKE Initiator mode:
IKEv1 main mode
IKEv1 Responder mode:
Main
IKEv1 NAT Traversal:
Not allowed
Bypass IP validation:
Use stack level setting (Yes)
Certificate revocation checking preference:
None
IKEv2 URL certificate lookup preference:
Use stack level setting (Tolerate)
IKEv2 authentication interval:
Do not automatically reauthenticate

Any ideas??