[Openswan Users] OpenSwan compatible with other ipsec software?

Denny Bortfeldt d.bortfeldt at babiel.com
Tue Dec 2 09:37:24 EST 2014

Hello everyone,

I've got a little question about openswan.
There are "left"- and "right"-settings you've to set in the openswan-configuration.
E.g.: left=4.3.2.1
leftsubnet=10.1.0.0/24
leftid=@a.example.com
leftrsasigkey=0sAQNe...
leftnexthop=%defaultroute
right=1.2.3.4
rightsubnet=10.2.0.0/24
rightid=@b.example.com
rightrsasigkey=7xoprFh...
rightnexthop=%defaultroute
auto=start

So now my question:
Let us assume our VPN-partner use racoon to establish an IPSec tunnel. Do the partner or we have to set special parameters? Who is the left one and who is the right one or is this not important?
Thank you very much in advance and sorry for the dump question but I couldn't find any useful stuff on google :-\

Best regards,
Denny