[Openswan Users] Planning for Jessie, Trusty Tahr, and Barrier Breaker

Lupe Christoph lupe at lupe-christoph.de
Wed Apr 9 12:37:36 EDT 2014

Hi!

I ran into this when I needed to build an OpenWRT trunk image for my
new WLAN router (Netgear WNDR4300). Openswan does not yet support the
3.10 kernel OpenWRT is using for the next release, Barrier Breaker.
There is also a userland linker error I described in the OpenWRT bug
tracker. https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/1466

When I looked a little further, I found that Debian Testing is using
3.13, and Ubuntu's next release will use that, too.

I'm running Openswan on two Debian servers that will eventually need to
be upgraded, and I'm using Openswan occasionally on an Ubuntu notebook
when I'm travelling. All use KLIPS because otherwise building firewall
rules is a real pain.

Converting all this to a different *swan or to OpenVPN is more work than
I would like to do, but given the sorry state of the respective bug
reports on the kernel module compilation failure I fear that Openswan's
KLIPS support is fading.

Can anybody give me a hint what can be expected in the next months? I
can delay deploying the new router for a while but if the current
hardware happens to fail, I only have very ancient slow hardware to fall
back to (WRT54GS). So I'm a little nervous...

Lupe Christoph
--
| The politician's syllogism:                                            |
|     We must do something                                               |