[Openswan Users] Firewall rules for openswan behind NAT

Neal Murphy neal.p.murphy at alum.wpi.edu
Thu Nov 21 05:21:06 UTC 2013

On Wednesday, November 20, 2013 10:57:35 PM Fred Weston wrote:
> [...]

All the firewall should see is UDP packets on port 4500; it shouldn't act on
what's in the payload (unless it's using deep packet inspection--DPI).

> The way AWS handles routing is a bit different than how you would normally
> handle it.  For instance, when I set a route for 10.1.0.0/16, I don't set
> an IP address as the next hop, I set a network interface which just
> happens to be the virtual NIC assigned to the openswan VM.  Otherwise, yes
> I am pretty sure the routing should not be suspect.
>
> >But I'm *really* beginning to suspect the configuration of the openswan
> >system. What type of system is it running on?
>
> So am I.  It's a t1.micro instance running Amazon Linux.  Specifically, it
> was launched from their NAT AMI (machine image).
>
> >Are you certain there is no other tunneling going on?
>
> The only other thing I could think of is that since the image I'm using was
> purpose built for doing NAT, that perhaps there were some existing
> firewall rules on the openswan boxes that could be monkeying with things.
> I tried to list the iptables ruleset, but it came up empty.  Since the
> boxes are designed to do NAT, shouldn't I see some sort of iptables rules?
>  Is there something other than iptables that could be in use that I should
> check?

No, only iptables (netfilter) wrangles packets.

Wait. Does the openswan machine have only one interface? If so, you're
probably well beyond my expertise; I can handle OS when it uses two NICs. If
it has two, your diagram and routing are wrong.