[Openswan Users] Site-to-site + OpenVPN

Simon Deziel simon at xelerance.com
Fri May 10 16:02:57 UTC 2013

On 13-05-10 11:47 AM, Nick Howitt wrote:
> Somewhere back in this thread I think a possibly incorrect statement was
> made about OpenVPN. AFAIK, OpenVPN normally binds to all the interfaces
> it can including the LAN interfaces and can be used for encrypting all
> LAN traffic. This can be especially useful if you want to secure WiFi.
> Anyway, following on from this thought, can you create an ipsec tunnel
> in tunnel mode with leftsubnet=LAN_IP/32 and
> rightsubnet=remote_LAN_IP/32? Also set left/rightsourceip. Then in
> OpenVPN, at the end initiating the connection you use "remote =
> far_end_LAN_IP port". You then use the OpenVPN configuration to do the
> subnet to subnet routing.

This would work indeed but has a slightly larger overhead when compared
to OpenVPN on top of IPsec in transport mode.

Since the OpenVPN communication is between the 2 hosts doing IPsec,
there is no point to use tunnel mode as transport was designed exactly
for that use case.

> I think this will allow all subnet-subnet traffic through the OpenVPN
> tunnel which is inside an IPsec tunnel.

Yes but whatever is the IPsec connection type (tunnel/transport) doesn't
matter as OpenVPN is just an UDP stream to protect.

IMO, using transport mode is a sensible choice especially when doing
OpenVPN on top of IPsec as the MTU keeps shrinking when you add layers.

Simon