[Openswan Users] Fwd: Re: Openswan connecting to Libreswan

Paul Wouters paul at nohats.ca
Fri Dec 6 15:53:49 UTC 2013

On Fri, 6 Dec 2013, Martin Erasmus wrote:

> if i do not update my openswan on my server but run the steps below will that effect my existing openswan connection?
>
> I am run one box in a remote office that is running a very old version of linux and openswan on very old hardware and all this system does is act as a
> gateway, if i upgrade my server to libreswan will this old version of openswan connect to libreswan.

Both openswan and libreswan implement RFC standards. They should interop
fine. Except older software will have bugs in it that _might_ prevent
some things from working. It all depends on the age of the install.
Obviously, some new features would also not be available when running
against the old server.

Libreswan Developer - https://libreswan.org/
Red Hat Security - http://people.redhat.com/pwouters/
Personal Blog - https://nohats.ca/