[Openswan Users] [Solved] Openswan 'errs' on PIII, but works fine on newer CPUs

Neal Murphy neal.p.murphy at alum.wpi.edu
Tue Dec 3 06:17:38 UTC 2013

Posting in case anyone else encounters similar trouble.

Re: below (I never sent it). Problem solved. For the moment. And it wasn't
really an Openswan problem after all.

I was specifying "-m32 -march=i486". But pkgs were *still* picking up the
host's CPU. I finally (effectively) added
  --build=i486-pc-linux-gnu --host=i486-pc-linux-gnu
to almost all of the pkgs' configure options. After dealing with old working
code with new breakages and a bumping glibc to 2.18 to fix a bug, I now have
an i486 version of Smoothwall 3.1 that boots, installs and runs on my PhenomII
in a 486 KVM and the Y2K PIII; IPSEC VPN comes up right smartly. I'll find out
Tuesday evening if it runs onae VIA CPU and if IPSEC works (working with
someone else).

Next I'll build for i586 since most 'old' systems today should be at *least*
Pentium Overdrive (i.e., there shouldn't be any i486 systems still running
that even *could* run Smoothwall). And verify that x86_64 still builds.

In sum, I can now build Openswan (and the rest of the system) for i486 and
have the tools actually produce i486 code. It should also work for i586 and
i686.