[Openswan Users] pluto won't talk over port 500 on very old system

Neal Murphy neal.p.murphy at alum.wpi.edu
Mon Aug 26 02:34:49 UTC 2013

On Friday, August 23, 2013 01:02:09 AM Leto wrote:
> can you show is the logs? I'm also not sure what 3.1-rc2 refers to? kernel
> version?
>
> did you try libreswan?

> > I *think* I see that the old Gateway does not load some of the crypto
> > modules. I suspect it is related to the ARCH I use to build the system,
> > and/or how the kernel is built. But I'm really at a loss.

For closure, I fixed it. And my conjecture was fairly close.

I was using '-march=i686 -mtune=pentium-mmx'. I changed the tune to 'generic'
and rebuilt the firewall system and installed it. The auld PIII brought up an
IPSEC VPN neat as you please.

I'll now let the real wizards ponder why the 'pentium-mmx' tune interfered
with the crypto routines.

The system builds with gcc 4.7.2.

Thanks again!