[Openswan Users] openswan and NAT

users-bounces at lists.openswan.org users-bounces at lists.openswan.org
Fri Aug 2 17:32:56 UTC 2013

Saved from the Spam bucket.  Please remember to subscribe to the mailing before posting to it.

From: Jason Jernigan <jason.jernigan at gmail.com>
Subject: openswan and NAT
Date: 2 August, 2013 1:30:09 PM EDT
To: users at lists.openswan.org

Hi all,
I'm fairly new at using openswan. But have had good success with it on a few simple tunnels. However I now have a requirement for something more complex and I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I need to setup a tunnel where I have been given a certain source address that my clients must come from. So I need to some how NAT my clients source address before entering the tunnel. I'm using amazon linux 3.4.37 with openswan-2.6.37-2.15.

I have tried using iptables but to source nat I had to use the POSTROUTING chain which means the packets are already encrypted. I attempted to use the PREROUTING chain but discovered SNAT is not allowed on the PREROUTING chain.

I appreciate any help I can get.
Thanks,
Jason