[Openswan Users] bridging to OpenVPN -- is it possible?

Neal Murphy neal.p.murphy at alum.wpi.edu
Wed Apr 17 21:43:26 UTC 2013

On Wednesday, April 17, 2013 04:52:50 PM Viacheslav Dushin wrote:
> >leftsourceip should be set to the LAN IP of the machine that is running
>
> Openswan - your gateway.
>
> >Does 10.128.0.2 exist?
>
> Yes.
>
> Thanks for the answers.
>

> 2013/4/18 Nick Howitt <n1ck.h0w1tt at gmail.com>
>
> >  leftsourceip should be set to the LAN IP of the machine that is running
> >
> > Openswan - your gateway.
> > Does 10.128.0.2 exist?
> > I wonder if you have a firewalling problem but I'm not good with these.
> >
> > I don't understand the question of bridging IPsec or OpenVPN networks. It
> > uses IPsec to bridge two networks. Similarly you can use OpenVPN to two
> > bridge networks.

OpenVPN is merely routed IP traffic. It should pass through an IPSEC tunnel as
readily as any other IP traffic does. Government/military often require nested
tunnels; in case a vulnerability is found in the outer tunnel, the inner
tunnel will maintain security. There's probably little reason one couldn't run
IPSEC through an OpenVPN tunnel just as easily. Granted, getting the
addressing right may be a chore.