[Openswan Users] OT IPSec -- L2TPD/Xauth

Patrick Lists openswan-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Mon Oct 15 19:34:32 EDT 2012

On 10/15/2012 11:40 PM, Erich Titl wrote:
[snip]
> Next candidate is Android and here is where trouble starts. It appears
> there is no way to get a 'simple' IPSec connection. The same appears to
> go for IOS. Rooting those devices to provide IPSec only is not an option.

How would rooting an Android phone solve this? I'm not even sure if for
example Cyanogenmod CM10 supports plain IPsec connections. Iirc they
follow the IPsec/L2TP and IPsec/XAuth functionality from regular Android.

> Both platforms provide some sort of IPSEC with L2TP or XAUTH
> schemes.Google shows many articles about these 2 solutions, but also
> concerns though about the safety of XAUTH and it appears that L2TPD on
> LINUX is a rotting carcass. Also I don't really want to mess up my
> gateway with too many software products.

Afaik XL2TPD is ok but maybe the maintainer (Paul?) can comment on that.
If XL2TPD is not an option then on Android 4.1.x you can install OpenVPN
from the Google Play Store and in my experience it works fine. But that
is probably more VPN software on your gateway than you bargained for.

Regards,
Patrick