[Openswan Users] Tunnel will not stay up

Barry Cisna brcisna at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 13:29:17 EST 2012

Kit,

I am very much a novice with Openswan having used it only for about 1
year.

That being said,I have three tunnels setup between my home server to
servers at work which run pfSense,and the vpn remote connection.

I have found that if i lose power on my home server CentOS 6.x running
Openswan,and also repowering the server as well, I have to manually
'shut off' the openswan server re-start it (after bootup)then establish
each of the three connections. I have watched the bootup sequence and
Openswan is started after the nics are initialized and obtained their
ip.I never have a problem with any of the three tunnels going
down,though.

An intermedent disconnect like you are experiencing is very tough to
troubleshoot . Something worth noting is if you do in fact lose the
tunnel, on each end point (if this is linux) simply run the route
command , (no switches used),,,to see if you are seeing the correct
route tables on each endpoint.

Barry