[Openswan Users] Installing OpenSwan on RHEL 6

Tuomo Soini tis at foobar.fi
Thu Mar 29 13:31:03 EDT 2012

On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 08:45:45 +0200
Stéphane Spahni <stephane.spahni at hcuge.ch> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to install OpenSwan 2.6.37 on my RHEL 6 system.
> I installed the Fedora 16 distrib + dependencies (glibc, ...). The
> ipsec is starting but I have several errors that prevent it to work:

You can't use Fedora 16 binary rpm on rhel6 system without recompile of
the src.rpm.

> 1) On the console:
> ipsec_setup: Starting Openswan IPsec
> U2.6.37/K2.6.32-71.24.1.el6.x86_64...

Upgrade your system - you have very old a kernel- system needs updates.

> ipsec_setup: /usr/libexec/ipsec/addconn Non-fips mode set
> in /proc/sys/crypto/fips_enabled
> ipsec_setup: /usr/libexec/ipsec/addconn Non-fips mode set
> in /proc/sys/crypto/fips_enabled ...
> (one per defined tunnel)

These fips spams are harmless - addconn just informs fips compliancy is
not active.

On RHEL and Fedora openswan is compiled against NSS library. How to set
up nss db and import certificates/keys into nss database you need to
read README.nss which is included in openswan-doc sub-package.

--
Tuomo Soini <tis at foobar.fi>
Foobar Linux services