[Openswan Users] Openswan not updating the routing table

nemus at grayhatlabs.com nemus at grayhatlabs.com
Thu Mar 8 16:18:34 EST 2012

Thank you so much for your help it was the iptables rules.

Once I set accept on all that tunnel started working.

Just out of curiosity how does the kernel now how to route the packets
through the tunnel?

I am just curious on how NETKEYS works with the routing table.

if net keys is the thing that manages the subnets?

I am not sure what exactly NETKEYS is .

>>> tun.0 at x.x.x.x tun.0 at z.x.x.236 ref=0 refhim=4294901761
> [...]
> Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt
> Iface
> 172.x.x.2    0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH        0 0          0 tun0
> x.x.x.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U         0 0          0 eth0
> 172.x.x.0    172.x.x.2    255.255.255.0   UG        0 0          0 tun0
> 0.0.0.0         x.x.x.1     0.0.0.0         UG        0 0          0 eth0
>
> iptables -L
> Chain INPUT (policy DROP)
> fail2ban-SSH  tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp
> dpt:ssh
> ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            state
> RELATED,ESTABLISHED
> ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW
> DROP       tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp
> flags:FIN,SYN,RST,PSH,ACK,URG/FIN,SYN,RST,ACK state NEW
> DROP       tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp
> flags:FIN,SYN/FIN,SYN state NEW
> DROP       tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp
> flags:SYN,RST/SYN,RST state NEW
> ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:ssh
> state NEW
> fail2ban-VSFTP  tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp
> dpt:ftp state NEW
> fail2ban-BadBots  tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp
> multiport dports http,https state NEW
> ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:http
> state NEW
> ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:https
> state NEW
> ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            udp
> spt:isakmp dpt:isakmp
> ACCEPT     esp  --  anywhere             anywhere
> ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            udp
> spt:ipsec-nat-t dpt:ipsec-nat-t
> ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp
> dpt:warmspotMgmt state NEW
> ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW tcp
> dpt:ftp-data
> ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW tcp
> dpt:ftp
> ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW tcp
> dpt:mysql
>
> Chain FORWARD (policy DROP)
>
> Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
> ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            udp
> spt:isakmp dpt:isakmp
> ACCEPT     esp  --  anywhere             anywhere
> ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            udp
> spt:ipsec-nat-t dpt:ipsec-nat-t
>
> Chain fail2ban-BadBots (1 references)
> RETURN     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
>
> Chain fail2ban-SSH (1 references)
> RETURN     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
>
> Chain fail2ban-VSFTP (1 references)
> RETURN     all  --  anywhere             anywhere

thank you so