[Openswan Users] Pluto and Openvpn tun0

Paul Wouters paul at nohats.ca
Thu Mar 8 14:11:22 EST 2012

On Fri, 9 Mar 2012, Timmy wrote:

> Dear all Openswan contributors,
> I have openswan and Openvpn set up on the same server and they are running
> very well.
>
> However, I noticed that Pluto had in touch with my Openvpn's tun0 interface.
> It is what is recorded in the log:
>
> Mar  9 00:12:18 localhost pluto[31628]: adding interface tun0/tun0
> 10.0.0.1:500
> Mar  9 00:12:18 localhost pluto[31628]: adding interface tun0/tun0
> 10.0.0.1:4500
>

> Why is it that???  :(

It binds the interfaces is finds to allow it to run IPsec/IKE on it.
Things can be very dynamic these days, and pluto in the future will
try to get even better at detecting network interface additions and
removals. It should be harmless, as it only exposes the IKE port on
that interface.

> I know Pluto is part of Openswan.  Also, when a Ipsec connection is started,
> its interface is ppp0, and not tun0.   My openswan ip is set in the range of
> 192.168.x.x.

The IP you might or might not define in your connection has nothing to
do with which IP/interfaces the daemon binds on.