[Openswan Users] Openswan IPsec: ARM cortex SoC board to board ping works but board to Ubuntu does not

satpal parmar systems.satpal at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 05:41:18 EST 2012

Hi All !

I recently ported Openswan on ARM cortex based SOC running linux
2.6.37 (ipsec netkey stack) and openswan 2.6.23. On this board I have
H/W accelerator support for AES/DES/SHA.
(http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/Installing_AM387x_C6A814x_DM814x_Crypto_Support).
AES/DES crypto operation are working fine and I am able to ping
through IPsec tunnel from my board to PC and vice versa. However when
I am trying ping with SHA-MD5 I am not able to ping  to and from
Ubuntu machine .

My ubuntu machine details:
root at vnl-desktop:~# uname -a
Linux vnl-desktop 2.6.32-33-generic #72-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jul 29 21:08:37
UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux

MYost probably it could be a IPsec configuration issue on Ubuntu
machine but I am not able to locate  what configuration could affect
behavior of only one crypto algorithm. Since I am using same
configuration for IPsec for testing all Crypto algo supported in H/W
(DES/AES/SHA-MD5 )and  I am successfully able to ping through IPSec
tunnel for DES and AES.

Just wondering if any one came across any such issue before. Do we
have separate config for SHA-MD5?

Appreciate any help /pointer reagrading this issue.

-SP