[Openswan Users] Can OpenSWAN replace OpenVPN?

geert geurts geert at verweggistan.eu
Thu Jul 19 07:19:54 EDT 2012

Hi Sandra,

I think we pretty much have the same rerequirements and reasons to look
into ipsec...
I also had a openvpn and currently have an ipsec vpn for my phone.
What you need is an l2tp tunnel over ipsec.
You first create a secure connection over ipsec, after that you build a
tunnel over this secure connection.
There are loads of howto's on the net.
The l2tp can be configured to advertise ip adresses to clients.
A good website to find information is th following:
http://www.jacco2.dds.nl/networking/openswan-l2tp.html

Regards,
Geert