[Openswan Users] Trying to get openswan working with android

Patrick Lists openswan-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Fri Feb 24 08:24:06 EST 2012

Hi Scott,

On 24-02-12 06:41, Scott Webster Wood wrote:
> Is there a good step-by-step guide available anywhere on setting up an
> openswan server in linux and possibly for connecting with an android
> phone?

Openswan & Strongswan do not seem to be compatible with Racoon which is
used by Android. See this bugreport:

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=23124

In that bugreport there is someone who mentions that it works fine if
you use ipsec-tools on the server side (instead of Openswan/Strongswan)
and there's another report that it works fine if you use ipsec-tools
(racoon) here:

https://plus.google.com/101331249670615452206/posts/ERnLaSkz1dS

Unless Google and/or the Openswan developers look into this issue I
don't see how you can make an IPsec connection from Android work with
Openswan.

Regards,
Patrick