[Openswan Users] Pure IPSec and iPhone/Mac

Tyler Rayner ty_rayner at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 3 15:53:59 EDT 2012

Hello,

I've been setting up a Linux VPN server which will connect with Mac/iOS clients. I read some older discussions on this list and my understanding is that I should use L2TP/IPSec because Openswan doesn't support some Cisco-specific stuff used in Apple's IPSec implementation.

Because of the way it's implemented on the Mac/iOS client side, I would really prefer to use pure IPSec as opposed to L2TP, if possible. The discussions I found were all a few years old, so I am wondering if anybody's found a way. Or perhaps Openswan has gotten support for what I'm looking for since then. Anyone care to share experience on this?

Thank you
-Ty