[Openswan Users] Which version of updown script to use

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Sat Apr 28 19:16:05 EDT 2012

Hello, all.  We sometimes provide slightly customized updown scripts
based upon the stock updown scripts.  However, we are having a slight
issue with older versus newer devices.  Some are still on the 2.4 kernel
and using very old implementations.

These have the very old updown scripts with things like:

doroute() {
        parms="-net $PLUTO_PEER_CLIENT_NET netmask $PLUTO_PEER_CLIENT_MASK"
        parms2="dev $PLUTO_INTERFACE gw $PLUTO_NEXT_HOP"
        case "$PLUTO_PEER_CLIENT_NET/$PLUTO_PEER_CLIENT_MASK" in
        "0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0")
                # horrible kludge for obscure routing bug with opportunistic
                it="route $1 -net 0.0.0.0 netmask 128.0.0.0 $parms2 &&
                        route $1 -net 128.0.0.0 netmask 128.0.0.0 $parms2"
                ;;
        *)      it="route $1 $parms $parms2"
                ;;
        esac

How do we know which devices take the old style scripts and which take
the new? Is the change from pluto 1.1 to 2.0? Is it the change from the
2.4 kernel to the 2.6? Thanks - John