[Openswan Users] Does Openswan support tunnel over virtual ethernet?

Tuomo Soini tis at foobar.fi
Fri Apr 20 01:04:19 EDT 2012

On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 00:24:09 +0800
Timmy <moonyhk at netscape.net> wrote:

> My question is:
> Does Openswan 2.6.38 support tunnel over a virtual ethernet adapter?
> In symbol, it is:
> eth0:1 with an assigned public IP, for example, 1.2.3.4.

eth0:1 is not virtual ethernet adapter.

eth0 is your ethernet interface :1 is interface label you have defined
for you IP alias. To see reality, use command:

ip addr show

Which lists ips as they really are. So Secondary ip is just a secondary
ip. iflabel is totally optional and only needed for legacy tool
ifconfig which shouldn't be used because it gives wrong idea of whats
happening in linux ip stack. Ifconfig got deprecated when linux-2.2.0
was released and that's long time ago.

> My openswan set up works very well whenever I log in by the primary
> public IP of my server.  In symbol, it is eth0.
>
> However, whenever I log in by the public IP corresponding to eth0:1,
> it never connects.

if left is the local side in your config you should use eth0:1 as value
fo left=

--
Tuomo Soini <tis at foobar.fi>
Foobar Linux services