[Openswan Users] opportunistic initiation bug

benny lima exprlima at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 08:55:07 EDT 2011

Hello Everyone,

I just went through the install of Openswan on Ubuntu 11.

My setup is initially an iphone coming thorugh my nat to the openswan
vpn server.

On the auth.log i noticed that it would die with the opportunistic
initiation message, and noted that it is listed as a current bug.

How do i check for the version that I'm running?  My source for
openswan was directly throughthe apt-get install openswan command.

Does this imply the following:

  If i go back one release would the bug be there?  I see lots of
instruction on how to do this for the iphone (my particluar
client...), so I'm assuming it worked before this particular bug.

  This bug is within the netkey implementation, so does that mean if I
attempt to compile KLIPS, it may bypass the issue with the current
build?

   Last but not least, is there an update on work towards fixing it?
I tried to go to the documentation page, and noticed the home page of
https://gsoc.xelerance.com/ has not really been updated much since
2009, so i couldn't get an idea what was active.  Of course the bug
report where I saw the bug was dated July 2011, and the release prior
to that was within one months time.

Thanks,
Benny