[Openswan Users] NAT-T and left=%defaultroute

Simon Chan simon.chan3 at yahoo.ca
Thu Sep 22 16:55:23 EDT 2011

Hi Experts:

I am trying to learn Openswan, starting with a simple NAT'ed setup.
One end is behind a cable modem Nat router. The other end is not Nat'ed.
All the examples I can find tell me to use "left=%defaultroute" which works. If I replace %defaultroute with the real public IP or the cable modem's IP (192.168.x.1) then I get error:
"We cannot identify ourselves with either end of this connection."

Is it possible to get rid of the %defaultroute? Is %defaultroute somehow tied to the default route entry in the routing table?

I need to sort this out before I move on to the more complicated setup:
a Linux box with two WAN links and one LAN link. One WAN link is NAT'ed. We have 20 tunnels right now and I need to move half of those to the NAT'ed link.

Also appreciate pointers on how to configure routing in this multihome situation.

My test environment is as follow.

OS and swan info
================
openswan-2.6.24-8.el6_0.1.x86_64