[Openswan Users] ipsec_setup: ERROR: Module af_key is in use

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Tue Sep 20 09:59:59 EDT 2011

On Tue, 20 Sep 2011, satpal parmar wrote:

> Subject: [Openswan Users] ipsec_setup: ERROR: Module af_key is in use

> I am recently installed openswan on red hat machine. Now when I am giving command 'service ipsec
> stop' I am getting "ipsec_setup: ERROR: Module af_key is in use"  error. Please find the log
> below. I am not able to relate anything with anything related to openswan. I goggled on mailing
> lists but I didn't get any pointers. Anyone came across this issue?
>
> 192.168.4.6$ipsec --version
> Linux Openswan U2.6.21/K2.6.18-194.el5 (netkey)
> See `ipsec --copyright' for copyright information.

That might be an old kernel bug? Does "ip xfrm state" or "ip xfrm policy" show
anything ?

Does issuing any of these help:

ip xfrm policy flush
ip xfrm state flush
ip xfrm policy deleteall
ip xfrm state deleteall

Can you run "ipsec setup stop" then?

Does "dmesg" tell you why you cannot rmmod af_key ?