[Openswan Users] Connecting to a VPN through Ubuntu

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Fri Sep 9 16:23:04 EDT 2011

On Fri, 9 Sep 2011, Rogelio Alejandro Ortiz Sevilla wrote:

> Good day everyone, this is my first post, sorry if my question is too basic.
>
> I'm trying to connect to a VPN through my Ubuntu desktop machine. The other windows users on my office are using the Sonic Wall
> Global VPN Client so I decided to go with openswan since i'm using ubuntu.
>
> The problem is that, when i try to connect, i just get an #500 error and everything stops. I'm sorry, networks are honestly not
> my strong point.
>
> When i checked the var/log/auth.log file, this is the content i found:

Sep  9 12:49:25 rogeliosevilla1-laptop pluto[10899]: "MyCompany_VPN" #1: STATE_MAIN_I4: ISAKMP SA established
{auth=OAKLEY_PRESHARED_KEY cipher=aes_128 prf=oakley_sha group=modp1024}
Sep  9 12:49:25 rogeliosevilla1-laptop pluto[10899]: "MyCompany_VPN" #2: initiating Quick Mode PSK+ENCRYPT+UP+IKEv2ALLOW
{using isakmp#1 msgid:970b965f proposal=defaults pfsgroup=no-pfs}

Looks like your phase2/esp settings are wrong. Perhaps a wrong pfs= setting as well?

Can you verify with the remote admin what they are expecting? Or check it from the windows client configuration?