[Openswan Users] Yet Another EC2 Config Debug

James Nelson james.nelson.ii at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 16:18:16 EDT 2011

It seems as though things are getting close, but I'm stumped by this
apparent disconnect between the .conf and .secrets files.

First, the error messages when I try to start up the connection:

Sep  8 19:51:18 pluto[3535]: "ec2check" #1: Can't authenticate: no preshared
key found for `<EC2 ELASTIC IP>' and `<CLIENT GATEWAY>'.
 Attribute OAKLEY_AUTHENTICATION_METHOD
Sep  8 19:51:18 pluto[3535]: "ec2check" #1: no acceptable Oakley Transform
Sep  8 19:51:18 pluto[3535]: "ec2check" #1: sending notification
NO_PROPOSAL_CHOSEN to <CLIENT GATEWAY>:500

The necessary lines in the .conf:

        left=<EC2 LOCAL IP>
        leftid=<EC2 ELASTIC IP>
        leftnexthop=%defaultroute
        leftsubnet=10.5.5.5/32
        leftsourceip=10.5.5.5
        right=<CLIENT GATEWAY>
        rightsubnet=<CLIENT ED>/24

And the line in the .secrets:
<EC2 ELASTIC IP> <CLIENT GATEWAY>: PSK "HeyLookImStillAKey"

Anything wrong with these setups?

-James