[Openswan Users] Openswan finally refuses connection during or after phase 2

thomas4437 at gmx.de thomas4437 at gmx.de
Fri Oct 28 10:29:08 EDT 2011

> On 10/27/2011 02:08 PM, thomas4437 at gmx.de wrote:
> > So this may not be an openswan issue at all?
>
> I am thinking so.  You could check /var/log/auth.log which is where I
> think Debian puts IPsec messages by default.  My guess is that it'll
> show that the IPsec SA is established.

You're totally right. Just wondering why I never inspected auth.log before, but there must be a reason for mailing lists' existence :)

> > /var/log/l2tpns looks like that:
> > 2011-10-27 15:53:35 00/00 Error getting eth0 hardware address for GARP:
> No such device
>
> Having never used l2tpns, I probably am not much help from here.  This
> looks like it could be causing the problem though.

Yes, again. Renaming my interface to eth0 let my iPod show a working VPN connection. Now I have to search elsewhere to find out why internet access is still not working through VPN but that's another story.

Thank you very much for hinting me the right way, Willie!