[Openswan Users] Encountered Fatal Error in state STATE_XAUTH_I1

Tushar tushar.sharma at matrixcomsec.com
Fri Oct 21 07:09:35 EDT 2011

I am facing problem while establishing Tunnel using xauth.

my config file on left machine

conn linux-vtep
                 left=192.168.1.143
                 leftnexthop=192.168.1.254

                 right=192.168.101.113
                 rightnexthop=192.168.101.1

                 auto=add
                 authby=rsasig

                 leftrsasigkey="..."
                 rightrsasigkey=".."

                 rightxauthserver=yes
                 leftxauthclient=yes

on Right machine i have configured similar
and also created /etc/ipsec.d/passwd with content username:passwd:conn-name

i can establish tunnel using above configuration without username and passwd but
when i am using xauth it is showing error

transition from state STATE_XAUTH_I0 to STATE_XAUTH_I1
encountered fatal erro in state STATE_XAUTH_I1

i have also added line in /etc/ipsec.secrets
username XAUTH "password"

Please help me with issue where i am going wrong. Also is it possible to use
XAUTH with
x509 CA-Certifcate.?

Thanking You,
Tushar