[Openswan Users] Left side does not detect disconnection

Mon Nov 21 08:02:56 EST 2011

If I understand it correctly, IPSec doesn't have a mechanism to detect disconnections (probably because IP is connectionless to begin with, so the concept of "disconnection" is a poor fit). There are several other mechanisms.

First, in this situation, left should simply initiate a new connection. For that to happen, first, you have to have the connection configured for auto=start, and second, obviously it only works if you have static IPs for all the rights. With a Roadwarrior setup, you are out of luck.

Second, during the next rekeying, right would reestablish the connection.

What I usually do in this situation is simply restart the ipsec daemon on the right sides. That solution doesn't scale well nor would it work with a fully-meshed topology, but it is good enough for me.