[Openswan Users] Multi-hop IPSec

Fri Nov 18 20:40:25 EST 2011

I have two separate IPSec connections here. One goes from leaf1 to hub1 (or from 10.0.1.0/24 to 10.0.2.0/24), the other goes from hub1 to hub2 (or from 57.0.2.0 to 10.0.4.0). I just changed the above illustration slightly and used === to identify IPSec connections, ----- to identify unencrypted connections.

> not sure i understand this, but if you want 10.0.1.0/24 to reach 10.0.3.0/24,
> then you need to build an ipsec tunnel with leftsubnet=10.0.1.0/24 and
> rightsubnet=10.0.3.0/24 If you also want to reachh 10.0.4.0/24 from
> 10.0.1.0/24 then you need to add a second conn for that or use
> rightsubnets={10.0.2.0/24, 10.0.3.0/24}

The connection 57.0.2.0 === 10.0.4.0 has the following:

Leftsubnet=10.0.3.0/24
Rightsubnets={10.0.2.0/24,10.0.1.0/24}

The connection 10.0.1.0====10.0.2.0 has the following

Leftsubnet=10.0.1.0/24
Rightsubnet=10.0.2.0/24

I also tried:
Leftsubnet=10.0.1.0/24
Rightsubnets=10.0.2.0/24,10.0.3.0/24

But when I do that, leaf1 can't connect to hub1. The log file on hub1 shows:

initial Main Mode message received on 10.0.1.0:500 but no connection has been authorized with policy=RSASIG

(even though everything else on that connection remained unchanged).

> If the ipsec gateway is not "in the path" of the default route, then yes, leaf1
> machines will need a route to point to the ipsec gateway instead of the default
> gateway.

Thanks for clarifying that!