[Openswan Users] Using OpenSwan to secure iPhone on public wifi

SiR GadaBout sirgadpc at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 11:38:35 EST 2011

Hi,
I'm running Debian 6.0.3 on a Dell E5400 laptop. It has one gigabit
Ethernet port. It is connected to my home network through my Airport
Extreme Base Station. I have a 10 down/1 up cable connection to the net.
 I'm an inexperienced user of Linux.

I used to use PublicVPN.com to enhance my privacy over public wifi
connections between my iPhone (iOS 5) and the Internet, but now I'd like to
implement this using my own Debian-based server instead.

Research has shown that OpenSwan should be compatible with my iPhone, but
not freeswan.  Other than that, however, I haven't got a clue how to about
this.  I did find a tutorial for implementing this on OpenVPN, but research
revealed this also to be incompatible with my iPhone.

Any and all helpful advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.