[Openswan Users] openswan and sonicwall psk

craig millar craigmillar at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 11:12:52 EST 2011

Hello list,
I was wondering if someone could help me. I am have rather a
frustrating time getting our linux gateway to connect to a sonicwall
vpn and the issue seems to arise from openswan not picking up the
pre-shared key.

I keep getting messages along the lines of:

Nov 11 15:56:12 gw pluto[7922]: "sonicwall" #1: responding to Main Mode
Nov 11 15:56:12 gw pluto[7922]: "sonicwall" #1: Can't authenticate: no
preshared key found for `@gw' and `@sonicwall router'.  Attribute
OAKLEY_AUTHENTICATION_METHOD
Nov 11 15:56:12 gw pluto[7922]: "sonicwall" #1: no acceptable Oakley Transform
Nov 11 15:56:12 gw pluto[7922]: "sonicwall" #1: sending notification
NO_PROPOSAL_CHOSEN to 78.33.23.178:500

No matter how I seem to format the secrets file, I get this message,
in spite of the fact that the file is definitely loaded. I suspect it
may be something to do with the fact that the right id has a space in
it, i.e. "@sonicwall router".

I have tried quoting the right id, before and after the @ sign, i.e.
"@sonicwall router" and @"sonicwall router", with no quotes, tried
leaving out the ids altogether which also fails with
INVALID_ID_INFORMATION and various permutations inbetween.

This is my current secrets file:

@gw "@sonicwall router": PSK "xxxxxxxxx"

Unfortunately changing the rightid on the box itself is not an option
as it's connected to various other sites and I don't wish to break
things further.

Many thanks,
Craig