[Openswan Users] Trying to get basics down

Chris Ditri grooveman at brokensolstice.com
Thu May 19 09:33:12 EDT 2011

Okay... according to tcpdump, the tunnel has been established:

tcpdump -n -i eth0 |grep -i esp
tcpdump: verbose output suppressed, use -v or -vv for full protocol decode
listening on eth0, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size 65535 bytes
09:26:34.689663 IP 10.5.5.126 > 10.5.5.134:
ESP(spi=0x7e2eb1cb,seq=0x24), length 148
09:26:34.697211 IP 10.5.5.134 > 10.5.59.126:
ESP(spi=0x0209e228,seq=0x17), length 148
09:26:34.697530 IP 10.5.5.126 > 10.5.5.134:
ESP(spi=0x7e2eb1cb,seq=0x25), length 100

... but I'm still not sure why I'm getting this when I try to verify:

Pluto listening for NAT-T on udp 4500                           [FAILED]
Two or more interfaces found, checking IP forwarding            [FAILED]

Like I said, there is no nat on my simple network, and IP forwarding
has been enabled on both boxes: net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1 (from
sysctl.conf)

I know this may be rudimentary stuff, but I have looked, and I cannot
find an answer... (though I have seen people with the same problem).

I appreciate the help.

-Chris