[Openswan Users] VPN stability with very high latency and bad network conditions

alet at librelogiciel.com alet at librelogiciel.com
Tue May 3 18:31:17 EDT 2011

Hi,

We've got an openswan 2.6.28 + xl2tpd 1.2.7 client which connects to the
Internet through the satellite, and so ping is on average above 800 ms
which is very high. In addition the quality of the connection is poor,
and there are frequent disconnections, both from the VPN and from the
ISP or satellite or whatever...

I'd like to ensure that the VPN connection always tries to reconnect
forever.

On my VPN gateway I've got this in ipsec.conf :

        dpdaction=clear
        dpddelay=30
        dpdtimeout=120

because we also have other "normal" clients.

on the "satellite" client's side I've got :

       dpdaction=restart

as well as this in xl2tpd.conf :

   redial = yes
   redial timeout = 15
   max redials = 65535

but this doesn't seem sufficient to ensure that the VPN connection
restarts as soon as the Internet connection works again.

any idea ?

Thx in advance

Jerome Alet