[Openswan Users] ipsec routing issue with amazon vpc

Luc Paulin paulinster at gmail.com
Mon May 2 16:09:23 EDT 2011

Hi Everyone,
Is anyone been successfull in setting up a vpn connection with amazon's VPC
service?

I am trying to setup a vpn connection from our office to amazon's VPC
service. The VPN tunnel is coming up fine, however it look like something is
not right with the routing. I can successfully ping the other side's
internal's ip (169.254.255.x), however when I try to ping the other side's
network, the I amd getting  destination host unreachable. The routing table
does properly show and entry to route the network through the correct
gateway (amazon's internal ip).

Not sure If I did the right thing but I assign the internal ip adresses
169.254.255.2 and 169.254.255.6 to the interface eth0 of our vpn server,
which is the public facing interface. I actually did an almost same copy as
per this email thread setup (
http://lists.openswan.org/pipermail/users/2010-May/018829.html).

Here's my configuration...

config setup