[Openswan Users] IPSEC with L2TP configuration in UBUNTU problem

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Mon Jun 27 16:15:50 EDT 2011

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011, heta shah wrote:

> I want to know in xl2tpd configuration
>
> local ip should ip from our local network range or we can define any one.
> and also same for range that should define from our internal local ip range for any network ip range
>
> please give me guidance I am facing some problem . My XP client cannot connect to VPN server.

example from the xelerance test l2tp server:

; Sample l2tpd.conf
;
[global]
listen-addr = 193.110.157.131
ipsec saref = no
debug tunnel = yes

[lns default]
ip range = 10.254.253.128-10.254.253.250
local ip = 10.254.253.1
assign ip = no
require chap = yes
refuse pap = yes
require authentication = yes
name = OpenswanVPN
ppp debug = yes
pppoptfile = /etc/ppp/options.xl2tpd
length bit = yes

options.xl2tpd:

ipcp-accept-local
ipcp-accept-remote
ms-dns  193.110.157.136
noccp
auth
crtscts
idle 1800
mtu 1200
mru 1200
nodefaultroute
debug
lock
proxyarp
connect-delay 5000

user account example in /etc/ppp/chap-secrets:

test		*	"test"		10.254.253.128/25

In fact, the PSK is also "test", so feel free to test and try it
on your windows machine.

The uplink is nat'ed, eg:

-bash-3.2# iptables -t nat -L -n
Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT)
MASQUERADE  all  --  10.254.253.0/24      0.0.0.0/0