[Openswan Users] Question about plutostderrlog

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Mon Jul 11 22:50:01 EDT 2011

On Mon, 11 Jul 2011, Nick Howitt wrote:

> In order to de-clutter my /var/log/secure I tried to remove the pluto
> messages from this file by setting plutostderrlog=/var/log/pluto. While
> this works in that the log is redirected to /var/log/pluto there is no
> date or timestamp in the log making it rather less useful. There was a
> post to the list in 2004 but no useful answer. Is there any way of
> getting a date and timestamp into this log?

We thought about an option for this. The reason we don't just add the
timestamp to it, is that it makes our testing harnass, which uses these
logs for testing, much harder to process, as the "known" output will
differ and has to be filtered for the date.

The ideal solution is for us to add the timestamp unless some pluto
option is specified (which we then specify in the unit tests)

I'll have a look at this, but ping me in a week or so if you haven't
seen the git commit.