[Openswan Users] ipsec newhostkey --configdir broken ???

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Fri Jan 21 09:50:54 EST 2011

On Fri, 2011-01-21 at 09:40 -0500, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-01-19 at 16:20 -0600, Greg Scott wrote:
> > I ended up working around the problem by installing a Fedora RPM. That
> > system is running Fedora 12, and Red Hat has a 2.6.29-1 RPM for Fedora
> > 12. So that's what I ended up with. But first, I removed 2.6.32 and
> > installed 2.6.31 from source. ipsec newhostkey with --configdir switch
> > did not fail with 2.6.31, but it also finished immediately and didn't
> > generate anything. So I removed 2.6.31 and installed the Fedora RPM
> > and all worked as expected.
>
> 1) Fedora 12 is EOL and you should be using something more up to date.
>
> 2) You can get the 2.6.31 rpm from the F14 repos.
>
> 3) If you want to rebuild from source but want it to match the Fedora
> configuration, download the source RPM and install that and then install
> the newer source in the rpmbuild/SOURCES directory and update the
> rpmbuild/SPECS/openswan.spec file for the new version and rebuild it
> that way.  I do that routinely.  Once in a while it will get bitchy
> about one patch or another but that generally just means it's a fix that
> got incorporated so I just disable the patch and go again.  I don't
> think I ran into that at all from 2.6.31 to 2.6.32 though.  I think that
> will rebuild cleanly.

Sorry, I should have added that, if you want the F14 srpm and you really
don't want to upgrade to F13 or F14, I would recommend just pulling it
with yumdownloader...

yumdownloader --releasever=14 --source openswan

Then rebuild it on your system with...

"rpmbuild --rebuild openswan-2.6.31-1.fc14.src.rpm"

If you have all the other pieces you need (you should if you were able
to compile it from source before) that should succeed and you'll have
2.6.31 rpms for F12.  In that case, go ahead and install the .srpm and
then the 2.6.32 sources and rebuild as described above.  Should go
smoothly.