[Openswan Users] ipsec newhostkey --configdir broken ???

Greg Scott GregScott at Infrasupport.com
Wed Jan 19 17:20:13 EST 2011

I ended up working around the problem by installing a Fedora RPM.  That system is running Fedora 12, and Red Hat has a 2.6.29-1 RPM for Fedora 12.  So that's what I ended up with.  But first, I removed 2.6.32 and installed 2.6.31 from source.  ipsec newhostkey with --configdir switch did not fail with 2.6.31, but it also finished immediately and didn't generate anything.  So I removed 2.6.31 and installed the Fedora RPM and all worked as expected.

Go figure.

This was how I built from source:

cp openswan-2.6.32.tar.gz /usr/local/src
cd /usr/local/src
tar zxvf openswan-2.6.32.tar.gz
cd openswan-2.6.32
make USE_LIBNSS=true programs install

I have a hunch when I built from source, I didn't get in whatever I needed for that NSS database and that was the root of my troubles.

Is there any documentation for how to use this new NSS database?  I still don't know how to import and export keys to/from hostkey.secrets and this complicates firewall replacements and made my life more stressful today.

thanks

- Greg Scott