[Openswan Users] multiple EVENT_SA_REPLACE

Omar Armas omar.armas at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 19:30:41 EST 2011

Hi, I´m using Openswan in a Debian 5 box(distribution package).

My problem is that when I do an ipsec auto --status, for a tunnel with 3
days of life, I get literally thousands of messages like this:

"000 #5957: "to-33"[3] 189.X.X.145:62374 STATE_QUICK_R2 (IPsec SA
established); EVENT_SA_REPLACE in 1465s
000 #5957: "to-33"[3] 189.X.X.145
esp.9dfd919f at 189.X.X.145esp.67479afd@201.Y.Y.Ytun.0 at 189.X.X.145tun.0@201.Y.Y.Y
"

beeing EVENT_SA_REPLACE value different for every line.
It gives me no problem, but I plan to add about 100 tunnels and having this
behavor worries me.

As far as I know, I should have a single SA per tunnel, shoudn´t I?

my ipsec.conf has:

---
conn to-33
aggrmode=yes
auth=esp
ike=3des-sha1-modp1024!
esp=3des-sha1
pfs=no
keyingtries=1
authby=secret
right=%any
        ikelifetime=28800s
rightid=@domain1.dyndns.org
rightsubnet=192.168.3.0/24
leftsubnet=192.168.254.0/24
auto=add
----

And the other side is a Sonicwall with 28800s for ike and phase2 too.

And in auth.log I see this(repeated dozens of times) every 10 or 20 seconds:

"Jan 12 18:14:46 vpntepo pluto[4152]: | processing connection to-33[3]
189.X.X.145"

And this also from time to time:

"Jan 12 18:15:16 vpntepo pluto[4152]: "to-33"[3] 189.X.X.145 #6094: ISAKMP
SA expired (superseded by #7236)"

This is the output of my "ipsec verify"

 ipsec verify
Checking your system to see if IPsec got installed and started correctly:
Version check and ipsec on-path                             [OK]
Linux Openswan U2.4.12/K2.6.26-2-686 (netkey)
Checking for IPsec support in kernel                         [OK]
NETKEY detected, testing for disabled ICMP send_redirects   [FAILED]

  Please disable /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/*/send_redirects
  or NETKEY will cause the sending of bogus ICMP redirects!

NETKEY detected, testing for disabled ICMP accept_redirects [FAILED]

  Please disable /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/*/accept_redirects
  or NETKEY will accept bogus ICMP redirects!

Checking for RSA private key (/etc/ipsec.secrets)           [DISABLED]
  ipsec showhostkey: no default key in "/etc/ipsec.secrets"
Checking that pluto is running                               [OK]
Two or more interfaces found, checking IP forwarding         [OK]
Checking NAT and MASQUERADEing                               [N/A]
Checking for 'ip' command                                   [OK]
Checking for 'iptables' command                             [OK]
Opportunistic Encryption Support                             [DISABLED]

Is this a bug or configuration issue?
Any idea about how to solve it?

--
Omar